Let me show you how to Manually Update Global Address List GAL on Exchange 2010
I picked up that there is a lot of questions relating to Global Address Lists (GAL’s) not updating so I thought that I would create this article to show you how to Manually Update Global Address List GAL on Exchange 2010 and verify that it is indeed updating:
WHEN WILL YOU USE THIS ARTICLE
1. Outlook Address List not showing newly created users or contacts
2. Users not receiving latest contacts in cached mode
UPDATE GLOBAL ADDRESS LIST USING EXCHANGE MANAGEMENT SHELL (EMS)
The identity can either be “Default Global Address List” (As specified below) or Any other specific address list that you would like to update
Update-GlobalAddressList -Identity "Default Global Address List" -DomainController "YourDomainControllerName"
PS: If you get the error “The term ‘Update-GlobalAddressList’ is not a recognized”
Then do the following first:
1. Open Exchange Management Shell
2. Type in the following and hit enter / return
3. Now type in the following and hit enter / return
4. And finally run the following command and hit enter
5. Now you will need to close EMS and reopen it
6. Try the command again:
update-GlobalAddressList -Identity "Default Global Address List" -DomainController "yourdomaincontrollername"
7. Let me know if this works.
This will reinstall the RBAC roles 🙂
NEXT OPEN EXCHANGE MANAGEMENT CONSOLE (EMC) BY DOING THE FOLLOWING:
1. Connect to your Exchange Server using RDP or any remote application
2. Now click on start and type Exchange Ma
3. And select Exchange Management Console from the list
NOW WE WILL START THE UPDATE PROCESS, PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING:
1. Expand Microsoft Exchange > Microsoft Exchange On-Premises > Organization Configuration > Mailbox
2. Now Select the Offline Address Book tab
3. Locate your Default Offline Address book and Right Click on it then select Update. You can also click on the Update link located in the Action pane on the far right after highlighting the Default Global Address List.
4. You will receive the following message, just select Yes
5. Now we will need to verify that the update actually took place (Keep in mind that you would have to give the update about 10 minutes to ensure that it has completed)
6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB\
8. To have it update do the following:
8.1 Click Start > Administrative Tools > Services
8.2 Locate the Microsoft Exchange File Distribution service
8.3 Now Right Click on the service and select Restart
9. Now go back to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB\10. Verify that the Date Modified is today’s date:
11. This means that your Offline Address Book has now been updated, next we will update the clients Address Book and confirm that they have the latest one.
FORCE OUTLOOK TO UPDATE THE OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK
1. Close Outlook and Re-Open it
2. Select the Send and Receive tab
3. Locate Send/Receive Groups
4. And finally click the Download Address Book to download latest copy
IF OUTLOOK STILL DON’T HAVE THE UPDATED LIST, TRY THE FOLLOWING
Try deleting the user’s oab files then have the user re-download the Address Book.
1. Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
2. Delete all files with .oab
3. Now follow the steps in “FORCE OUTLOOK TO UPDATE THE OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK” to download the address book again
If you found this article to Manually Update Global Address List GAL on Exchange 2010 helpful please consider a donation or giving me a thumbs up and rating on the STARS